Curriculum at Heathcote Primary School
At Heathcote Primary School we follow a theme based curriculum which is designed to inspire our pupils and is centered around The National Curriculum and enhanced through Cornerstones. Each theme has either a history or a geography focus. When we design them we develop a hook through Super Starters, we keep them engaged with Marvellous Middles and inspire them to want to learn more with their parents or with visits/visitors through Fabulous Finishes.
Our long term plans and curriculum policy are at the bottom of this page. You can access medium term plans for each year group under their class pages. These will give you more information about each area of the curriculum. Our photo gallery demonstrates the experiences the pupils have to extend their skills, knowledge and depth of understanding.
Central to our whole curriculum are the core subjects - English, Maths and Science - you can link to The National Curriculum at the bottom of this page.
We aim to give our pupils a breadth of experiences through:
• Outdoor learning - we have an amazing blank canvas of outdoor area which is new and ripe for development, a growing Forest School, surrounding parks and we look for lots of opportunities through visits and visitors to widen children's understanding and skills
• Communities (local, global and cultural perspective) - through our connections with Austin Heath Retirement Home, The Gurdwara in Leamington, links to businesses, other schools, local and through our trust, parents and more we develop the pupils as global citizens
• Healthy living and sport - we love sport at Heathcote and are in the process of developing the pupils as sports leaders so they can learn to develop our curriculum. Again we link with local schools, invite visitors in and look for opportunities to promote healthy living
• Use of technologies - the pupils have access to laptops and ipads and are able to use a wide range of resources.
• Creative arts - we invite visitors such as artists to share skills, look for opportunities to extend the children's musical ability e.g. Rock Steady, West End Plays , Music workshops
• High expectations & academic standards are key to our curriculum development. We teach the children that they can achieve whatever they want to achieve. We help them to develop their skills and knowledge in all areas.
• Real life situations - we want children to be able at some point to work with a chef to learn nutrition and knife skills and recipes for life. We look for opportunities for them to develop themselves in the business world and run mini enterprises
• Balance of independence and teamwork is key to their learning
• Spirituality & reflection - mindfulness sessions, opportunities for debate, the big questions
Cultural - we hold an annual multicultural week, visit different places of worship or invite visitors in, explore different cultures, follow Warwickshire RE syllabus to ensure all children have opportunities to ask questions and understand.
Assessment and Monitoring
- Clear Learning Objectives
- Success Criteria - developed with pupils (REMEMBER TO...)
- Work evaluated by own child/peers/ teacher
- Share Successes & Next Steps through half termly topic sharing events
- Whole school tracking and data analysis
- Learning Walks
- Governor visits
- Children’s books and discussions
- Views of parents and pupils
- Pupil progress meetings, assessment, feedback marking and moderation
- Staff curriculum evaluation and regular planning meetings •
- Strong liaison with our Hub schools in The Multi Academy Trust